Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Abraham 1:2

"And, finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers, and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same; having been myself a follower of righteousness, desiring also to be one who possessed great knowledge, and to be a greater follower of righteousness, and to possess a greater knowledge, and to be a father of many nations, a prince of peace, and desiring to receive instructions, and to keep the commandments of God, I became a rightful heir, a High Priest, holding the right belonging to the fathers"
- Abraham 1:2

Last week at institute class we were discussing this scripture. I had always thought of this scripture as something really grandiose, something that only someone who had the spiritual strength to be willing to sacrifice their son could attain. For these reasons, I never really thought of it as something that applied to me.

My mind must have skipped these last lines - 'I became a rightful heir, a High Priest, holding the right belonging to the fathers.' These lines help me apply it to myself now: Abraham sought the blessings of holding the Melchizedek Priesthood. There is a way for us all to gain these blessings, and covenant with God, as the fathers did (i.e. Adam): we must live a life worthy of holding the Melchizedek Priesthood, and seek all of the blessings associated with it. I remember that when I received this Priesthood, my grandfather told me it was the greatest thing I could ever receive. I think that he understood something more of these promises than I did at the time. I know that the Priesthood is the power of God, and I am grateful that it is upon the earth today.

No comments: