Sunday, October 5, 2008

Moroni's promise




At the end of the Book of Mormon there is a promise recorded about the book. The essential parts of the promise are that if you read, think about what you read, and then pray to God to know if what you read is true, He will speak to you through the Holy Ghost and manifest the truth of it unto you. Here is the text of the promise:

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

This is such a simple, elegant truth. God is your Father and will speak to you. To me, this promise is a defining part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: each person should go to the Lord themselves and discover the truth for themselves, so everyone can know for themselves the truth. I know that God loves each of us; we are all His children and He will send the Holy Ghost to teach any of His children that is willing to follow His words. I have prayed and know for myself that the Book of Mormon is true. I wouldn't want anyone to believe just because I said so, but I hope that everyone will go to the Lord and ask, and have the courage to live the answer that they receive.

No comments: