Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Infinite Atonement and Hope

All Christians hold for truth that Jesus Christ suffered to pay for our sins, and that this makes Him our Savior. Many do not realize that he did much more than this:
The prophet Alma, who lived in the Americas, also testified:

And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

"Suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind" means that Christ suffered for every bad thing that ever will happen to us, each of us, in this life. I have a friend who lost their spouse after about one month of marriage. I do not know what this is like. I cannot tell my friend I understand how she feels. With confidence, I can testify to her that I know that Christ knows. I know he took that weight upon him. This, along with our sins, are why He bleed from every pore for His suffering.



Doesn't this give you hope? I know that whatever happens in my life, my Lord and Savior has the ability to help. He overcame sin, and can deliver us from it. Just as He overcame sin, He overcame disappointment, doubt, failure, pain, and every trial we face in life. He did this out of love and a desire to help us through it all. He can. There is no need to despair. No pit is so deep that He cannot help us out of it. His arm is not shortened, neither have any taken His power to deliver. I know that He has helped me, and He can help you.

No comments: