Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Self-Control Works Exactly How It Sounds


He who takes offense when offense was not intended is a fool, yet he who takes offense when offense was intended is an even greater fool for he has succumbed to the will of his adversary.
This quote is commonly attributed to Brigham Young. For me, there's obvious wisdom here: if I allow myself to be offended I'm giving up some control over myself to someone else. (Obviously, accepting this quote requires admitting that we're all foolish sometimes, but that's ok to me.) Its important to remember that I can ultimately decide how I feel; the more I develop self-control the more I can enjoy mastery over my own feelings.

The splendor of this idea is made obvious when we contrast this idea with the era of political-correctness; some in our society seem to believe that feeling offended is a righteous pursuit. I have heard many people suggest that you have no choice except to feel victimized if someone does certain things or says certain things. Freedom of choice is bestowed on all of us by God, and no one can take it from you if you don't let them.

Just like any discipline, this takes practice. We can start out small. Let's say: no one who is rude to me today means anything by it. Its probably something in his or her personal life. Often times, this is actually even a correct statement. Little by little, I develop more and more ability to be happy, despite how others may treat me.

As I work to develop more self-control there is a power beyond my own will available to me. Our Common Father blesses us with opportunities to develop self-control and helps us through them. I know because He helps me, despite my many short-comings. I know that He wants our freedom; He wants all of us to have the strength to choose, even if it is something we must work towards.

I believe in repentance. If someone offends me and I won't let it go, then in that moment I'm not showing much faith in repentance. If I can find the faith to leave it in the Lord's hands and not take offense, then my self-control will become a gift that keeps on giving; I gain more control of who I am and who I am becoming. This is the opposite of easy, and, like all Gospel ideals, is something we all need to improve.

I testify that God wants us to control our thoughts, our emotions, and our bodies. Through self-control, we can. We can eventually become free from all of the ills of the world, little by little, line upon line, precept upon precept.

No comments: