Saturday, December 7, 2013

Giving To One Another

I love Christmastime for many reasons, including how it invites me to reflect on giving to others. There is a scripture in D&C 49:20 teaches plainly on this subject. The Lord is teaching about the purpose of creation and how to use it when He offers this warning:
 But it is not given that one man should apossess that which is above another, wherefore the bworld lieth in csin.
I can't say that I'm perfect in following or even understanding this scripture and what the Lord wants us to do in light of this teaching, but it makes me want to be generous and reach out to meet the needs of those around me; it makes me want to help those around me better themselves.
Obviously, there are many ways you can apply this scripture to your life, but one part is not debatable: the Lord would like for His children to be equals. I believe this scripture is teaching us to give to the poor and needy, and to help them better themselves.

I am fortunate to have a job that allows me to provide for my family and have some extra to use at my discretion. I have found that when I donate money I have more. It is not a concept that adds up mathematically, but it is something that has repeatedly proven true in my life. Giving money makes me happier and more content in my life. I know that our Father wants us to find ways to help those around us; I know that He blesses us as we try to make that happen, and we are happier knowing that we are fulfilling this obligation to Him and helping those around us.

No comments: