Sunday, December 1, 2013

Repentance

Repentance is the second principle of the Gospel according to the Articles of Faith. The most common application of repentance is in seeking forgiveness for sin; a practical definition of repentance could include any change we make to become closer to God.

To repent, we 1) recognize that we are wrong, 2) feel Godly sorrow, (see verses 10-11) 3) confess our sins appropriately, and 4) stop committing the sin. Sometimes, repenting may be as simple as following these steps once and moving on, while for other sins it may be a process that we work on for longer periods of time until we are finally able to overcome the sin. The latter is often true for overcoming addictions or changing other difficult behaviors.

The most obvious blessing from repenting is gaining forgiveness from God; we are removing barriers that would prevent us from getting as close to Him as we otherwise might. Preach My Gospel's lesson on repentance adds insight into some other blessings from repentance:
As we repent, our view of ourselves and the world changes. As we change, we recognize that we are children of God and that we need not continue making the same mistakes over and over. If we sincerely repent, we turn away from our sins and do them no more. We resist any desire to commit sin. Our desire to follow God grows stronger and deeper.
 This was an eye-opener for me the first time I read it. I had never considered these benefits of repentance, despite them being absolutely true. One of the overall things we can learn from applying the Atonement is that we aren't perfect, but our Heavenly Father understands that, and Christ has paid the price to make up the difference. Repenting regularly is very empowering. We can be more than we are, and repentance can take us there.

As I reflect on my life I can see lots of mistakes that I've made, and I can't count the number of things I'd like to have done better. Instead of dwelling on the many shortcomings I choose to put my faith in repentance. I can see the tremendous progress I've made as I have repented. I can see the Hand of God lifting me higher, bit by bit, over the years through His Son's Atonement. I am far from perfect even in simple things, but repentance makes that alright.

No comments: