Sunday, January 12, 2014

Receiving the Priesthood

Today I've had the opportunity to reflect on the importance of the Priesthood and how it has affected my life. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints all men and young men who are active in the Church and maintain certain standards of conduct can be ordained to the Priesthood. Starting at 12 a young man can become a Deacon, with progressive ordinations at 14 and 16. Each new one comes with a few more duties, more responsibility, and more potential for blessings. As you become a man, there is a minimum age (18) for when you can become an Elder and be ordained to the higher Priesthood, but things don't happen as automatically. A commitment to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood makes a larger jump in terms of duty, responsibility, and potential for blessings.

I remember the day I was ordained an Elder. My surviving grandfather made the trip as well as one of my uncles. My father ordained me. After being ordained, Grandpa Beer told me: "What you got to day is the best thing there is." That was all I remember him saying about it. He didn't multiply words or attempt to explain things more than that. Perhaps he knew that my attention span was still growing? At any rate, it was the perfect sermon for me, and has stayed with me since.

D&C 84:19-20 provides a great lesson on the implications of the Priesthood:
19 And this greater apriesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the bkey of the cmysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the dknowledge of God.
20 Therefore, in the aordinances thereof, the power of bgodliness is manifest.
I know that this scripture teaches the truth. Many of the most powerful spiritual experiences I have been blessed with came through participating in a Priesthood ordinance. One that stands out in memory happened almost ten years ago, in Praia, Cape Verde. I remember confirming a man a member of the Church; for a few brief minutes the connection between myself and my Father felt absolute. It reaffirmed all of my beliefs; most of all that I was doing His work and spreading His word.

As far as the key to the knowledge of God, I don't claim to have a lot of knowledge but I can share a brief thought: Christ taught that to find our life, we should lose it (Matt. 16:25). If we are serving in the Priesthood, we will put others before ourselves. I think that this is one practical way to gain the knowledge of God. President Faust taught a lot more on this subject.

I know that we can all learn these lessons of the Priesthood and have power in it through righteousness and humility. God wants us to understand and come to know Him, and He will help us get there if we will be led.

No comments: